I finally saw The Thing yesterday, so I'm feeling a little suspenseful today. And when that happens, it usually translates into a cliffhanger. Mwa ha ha.
Overall I thought The Thing was a pretty solid monster movie. Was it a masterpiece equal to John Carpenter's film of the same name? No, and I think that if it didn't carry that film's namesake it wouldn't be under as much scrutiny as it is by fans (like me) and critics. But since it was a prequel to Carpenter's movie it had some big, monstrous shoes to fill.
What I thought they got right:
- Gruesome monster transformations.
- Great moments of tension.
- Attention to details that link it to the Carpenter classic.
- The "dum dum... dum dum" was in the movie.
What I thought they got wrong:
- The monster was more aggressive than a lurking terror.
- A CGI monster is less scary than a makeup-effects monster.
- Forgettable characters.
- The "dum dum... dum dum" wasn't in the movie enough.
I still recommend seeing it, though. If you've never seen the original, the new The Thing stands alone as a decent monster flick. But if you've never seen the original masterpiece, treat yourself to a classic tonight.
That's all from me for now.