The Kickstarter’s Sweet Side Effect

As the Kickstarter campaign to reprint Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire THE COMPLETE SERIES Volume 2 enters its second week, I’ve noticed something start to happen. As word spreads as best as I can make it, there’s been an increasingly sweet response to folks discovering it. The words are always a little different but the general idea goes something like this:

“Oh wow, I haven’t thought about this series in ages! I used to read it all the time when I was growing up / when I was in school! It’s so cool to see this again!”

This isn’t the overwhelming response, but I’ve seen variations of it pop up over the last week. And I get it. Real life gets in the way. I stepped away from fantasy from seven years and some folks didn’t follow me over to the sci-fi/superhero genre. When I came back to fantasy I made The Legacy as different from Oracle for Hire as I could. On top of all that, twenty years is a long time to be following any creator without interruption.

But it’s the last part that’s really being driven home. Twenty years. And when folks are rediscovering or remembering my work, the response hasn’t been “Sheesh, that guy’s still around?” (at least not to my face), it’s been “Oh man, I remember that fondly!” It’s become a nice reminder that I’ve been doing this for a long time, and there are lots of people out there who literally grew up and/or went to school with my comics as a part of their lives. In the long haul of a comics career, it’s invigorating to hear that every now and again.

As of this writing the Kickstarter campaign is 58% funded, with three weeks left to cover that remaining 42%! Let’s do this!